Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dracula?

I think that the junior class has to choose a choice novel pretty soon too. So I'm gonna explain my choice first, which may give you the desire to read this book too, and then I'm gonna give my point of view abou what i read (until chapter IX).

I went to the Frankenstein Lecture at UMW, and the doctor talking about it said that Frankenstein had been written at the same time "the Vampire" was written. I mean, this two books, came from two different authors but in a special group of friends. She also said that, "the Vampire" was the first novel involving a vampire but that soon after, "Dracula" took the place of "the Vampire" as a symbol for this kind of creature. It interested me to know why it had been so popular that fast. Probably because it was a wonderful book?! Besides, as for Frankestein, I noticed that I kinda knew the character by its legend, but I didn't know much about the story, whereas it's supposed to be a classic, and everyone should be able to argue about a classic. That's why I chose "Dracula".

Concerning the story, it sort of reminds of Frankenstein by the changes in narration. Sometimes a letter, or a diary, and some other times, actual narration. Actually, i was surprised that the narrator wasn't Dracula himself, but a journalist called Jonathan Harker. Some other narrators are involved, but they mainly have a link with him (like Mina, his girlfriend). It seems to have some smaller plots in the big one, which will likely join at one moment in the book.
The beginning of the novel may seem a little slow, especially because we know about which subject the story is. But once it begins, i think it's very easily to get into the book, with its Halloween landscapes and weird events. However, I don't think that we feel surprise reading this book, like it happened when it was written, but we are more spectator of puzzle in which pieces are coming together. I mean that we know what a vampire do and how he is supposed to look but it's interesting to see each characteristic being added by the author. I'm looking forward to know how the story will be like. Because it seems that everything is ready to begin the actual story, that i really don't know. Bram Stocker, surprise me please.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I was also interested by that comment during the Frankenstein lecture and almost don't believe it because it seems so incredible! I enjoyed reading your early impressions of the novel and am eager to see what you think of it throughout, as I have not read this one myself, though I have been intrigued by vampire stories for a long time beginning with Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat series.

    ReplyDelete